Monday 21 April 2008

Single of the Week - Doin James PT 2




G.A.M.M records, I believe, is the label off-shoot of the Swedish club Raw Fusion. Don't know much about the label, I think information is scarce because a lot of the sample sources are un-licenced (for example Red Astaire's D'Angelo sampling Follow Me)


This is their second release of James Brown inspired music.





Track 1 side A is a rehash of Bobby Byrds immortal I know you got soul by Swing Session, this doesn't do much for me and makes me just want to dig out the original or Eric B and Rakim's version.

Track 2 side B contains a funky rework of James Browns Sayin and Doin' it by the Sugar Loaf Gangsters who give a slight afro-beat feel.

My main my reason for getting hold of this 12" is the track 1 side B, You Dead Wrong. A funky basement soul lick by Red Astaire using the vocals of Caretta Bell over James Brown samples. This is a seriously raw, funky soul track that made me stop everything I was doing when I heard it on the radio. It should be big but with G.A.M.M releases being relatively limited I can't see it being the case.

http://www.fatcity.co.uk/Sales/pages/MusicPageRichMedia.aspx?pageid=14290

No comments: